I have a good life. But for the last year and a half, my good life has presented a challenge. Stuart and I would like to start our family. It's something we've wanted very badly for quite a while now. And it was a rude awakening when we realized that this was not something that was in our control (like we had naively assumed it would be).
Rather, for the past year and a half each month has ended in disappointment and often tears. I spent the first six months optimistic. After about 9 months, I became more and more distraught. Finally, I decided we had to get help. I arranged an appointment with an OBGYN for my regular physical and figured it was a perfect opportunity to begin seeking help. When I met with the doctor, I began relaying our struggles. I broke down in tears in front of a lady I've never even met before. Luckily, she was understanding and gave me a hug.
We proceeded with more formal tests and after hearing some dismal results she referred us to a fertility specialist. Our first meeting with the fertility doctor was in April.
After 11 months of frustration, I finally felt hopeful. We were going to figure this out and everything would be okay! And yet...here I am, September, and still no good news to share.
The road of infertility is long and stressful. It's a painful waiting game and it effects your life on many different levels. It's the worst kind of emotional roller coaster there is. We've cried and prayed a lot.
I've given myself shots. I've spent hours in doctor's office. I've spent a lot of money. I've been prodded and poked and the most intimate part of my relationship with my husband has been invaded by doctors, calendars, and synthetic hormones. (For a somewhat humorous and slightly crass--sorry--but pathetically true depiction of what it's like, read this article I came across recently)
And yet, while we're not out of the clearing I am writing this post because I've reached peace with this situation. I've come to accept this challenge and I've even come to appreciate the lessons Stuart and I have learned as a result (there are many). Life isn't fair and there is no reason to explain why we face the challenges we do. But regardless, I believe there is wisdom in the Lord's timing. Truly, I do.
As of now, we are preparing to undergo In vitro fertilization. IVF seemed so horrible 6 months ago. It seemed like the worst possible scenario. After where we've been, I'm looking at it through a new perspective. Yes, it's criminally expensive; yes, it's invasive; and yes, I wish it would be different for us. But it's not. We are facing reality and we are taking it in stride. I am grateful for science and grateful for the opportunities that are available to us in this time. I have hope that should we take this next step, we will be successful. But more importantly, I have faith that no matter the outcome, it will work out. It always always does.
I didn't write this post for sympathy. We are blessed with wonderful, caring family and friends who have been and will continue to be such a wonderful support system. One of the reasons I DID share this news in such a public forum rather, is to lend support. Having been there, and being here now, I know that for others in my situation, it's a lonely road. It's a challenge that doesn't seem quite appropriate to share with others and you don't walk around telling people about it. I'm constantly on the lookout for someone I can talk to who is my age and who is going through this now. So, if you are out there and feel the same way, let me know. I can lend some comfort and support and we can compare notes. Shoot me an e-mail: brittneymaxfield@gmail.com.
Thanks friends. Now you know. And also know, that I will be okay. Life is good.
Brittney and Stu- this is a hard road for you both and I'm sorry. I'm so glad you are beginning to feel at peace. My thoughts will be with you as you undergo this next step. My brother and sister-in-law conceived my nephew by IVF and then two years later found themselves "accidentally" pregnant with No. 2. I share this as an example that you never know what the future holds for you and that I have a testimony that Heavenly Father truly knows you and your challenges. Wow, this is a long, rambling comment, sorry for that. You are great people and will be great parents one day!
ReplyDelete"we are grateful for science" - amen to that! My little girl is a synthetic hormone & Clomid baby, and I am heading to the doc soon for more drugs in hopes of #2! It's amazing how many women out there have struggles in this area. I've met so many other moms who praise clomid and IVF as their BFFs. Wishing you the best!
ReplyDeleteAnd ps - you have an awesome writing style.
I love you, you are a great example. I'm with you every step of the way sister!
ReplyDeleteWonderful, wise, inspiring, and hopeful words. We are with you all the way. . . we love you guys!
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! I appreciate your support.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with IVF. I'm glad you are finding some peace. I know it's not the same AT ALL, but when I found out I was having twins I was using the same words you used to described how you felt. I naively thought I was in control. It was so strange to see you use those words too for something so different.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had something wise and inspiring to say, but I really don't. You on the other hand, are both wise and inspiring. Although I haven't struggled with getting pregnant, I do have trials, like everyone. Your optimism and faith in the Lord is truly magnificent. You have encouraged me to examine my life and how I look at by "tribulations." Thanks for your candidness. You are both in my prayers. I miss you lunch dates!!!
ReplyDeleteI mean I miss YOU and I miss OUR lunch dates. :)
ReplyDeleteBrittney and Stu... you guys are both awesome! I wish I could offer comforting words and say that I understand... but I have yet to experience this. But I want you to know that you have my support, and are in my prayers. Thank you for opening up and sharing- you're an inspiration to us all.
ReplyDelete