Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Catching Up On Summer

I'm painfully aware of how far behind I am on this blog. When it gets this bad, catching up feels like a monumental task. And truly, this has been one of the most eventful summers in our life so it's overwhelming. I'll try to cover the highlights and get back up to speed.

The first thing worthy of documenting is the trip we took in June to Havasupai. I've always heard people talk about Havasupai and figured it was a bucket list kind of trip. I didn't think our chance to go would come so soon, but we lucked out when a colleague of mine won a lottery for 25 passes into the park and invited people from my office to attend. I decided to jump on the opportunity knowing how difficult it can be to win those lotteries and asked to take four spots. I originally invited Camille and Russ to come along, but as the date grew nearer, it didn't make sense for them to go considering Camille was in the middle of her pregnancy with twins. We ended up inviting some friends in our ward, Matt and Jessica, and it was a perfect foursome. They are splendid travelers and we had a blast together.

I was determined from the beginning to take Grayson, who would be 11 months old. First, I couldn't bear the thought of leaving him for three days, and second, I tend to live by the philosophy that he is part of our family now and we do family things together. Anyway, lots of people probably thought I was crazy, but I'm stubborn like that. Good thing Stuart is stubborn too and was completely on board with my plan.

We purchased a great baby hiking pack and began taking practice hikes about a month prior. We discovered that hiking was one of our favorite things to do as a family and Grayson loved riding in the pack. He was such a good sport.

Havasupai is located in The Grand Canyon and the hike down to the campground is about 10 miles. We headed down around 5 am after sleeping in the car on the side of the road (that was the hardest night of the whole trip). We hired donkeys to take in the majority of our stuff considering we did have to bring more with a baby in tow. That was a very good choice because our packs were relatively light and manageable.

The hike down wasn't so bad and we arrived, tired, but excited around 9 am. The little Indian town of Havasu is really interesting. It felt like a whole different world down there, very primitive. And finally reaching the falls a few miles out of town was absolutely spectacular. It is the very definition of a desert oasis.

The campground was absolutely beautiful and Grayson loved crawling around in the dirt and playing in the tent. He slept relatively well each night and all-in-all it was a very successful trip. We spent two days and two nights camping down by the falls. The weather was hot so playing in the falls and surrounding pools was perfect and kept us plenty cool. We also took a really cool hike literally down the river and it was refreshing and absolutely gorgeous.

Grayson was basically a celebrity around the campground. Everyone marveled that we hiked our baby in and that he was such a pleasant camper. Everywhere we went, people said, "oh, there's that cute baby." I'm so glad we decided to bring him - it was worth it.

Stuart was a champion and carried Grayson the entire time. On the hike out, however, he was starting to feel it (Grayson is no lightweight). So I took a turn carrying him a few miles until we reached the climb back out of the canyon. This climb is not for wimps and after spending three days hiking some 30 or so miles it can be a real beast. Thankfully, Matt had it in him to carry Grayson the last couple of miles and up the wall of The Grand Canyon. Not only did he carry Grayson, but he also did it while kicking all of our butts. We are so grateful to have had him there - I think it would have taken Stu and I twice as long.

It was one of the best trips we have ever been on. Havasupai is out of this world and something you need to do if you ever get the chance. I know that if we do get the chance again, we won't pass it up. And now, the photo montage:


At the top of the trail with Matt and Jessica.


Just the beginning.


Mid-hike napping.


The desert slowly turns into an oasis - it's breathtaking.

]

Tired but happy.


The town of Havasu about 8 miles in.


The famous Havasu Falls (90-foot waterfall into turquoise pools of water)


Give him a bottle and some snacks and he's a happy camper. 


Playing at the bottom of Havasu Falls.


Playing in the Havasu Falls pools.


Loving the dirt. 


At the bottom of Mooney Falls (120 feet tall and spectacular).


The "hike" down to Mooney Falls (terrifying).


Hiking the lower river. 


More hiking in the lower river.


The cutest baby hiker!

No comments:

Post a Comment