Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Weekend therapy

Life doesn't usually get the message that you're going through a hard time. But in a way, isn't that a blessing? Things move on, life continues, distractions abound (thank goodness). We've been pretty busy the past few weeks, despite our discouraging predicament. I'm grateful for work, family, summer, holidays, and the like that have kept me busy and occupied and moving forward.

We celebrated the 2nd of July (Provo's celebration) on our front lawn. It was fun. We had friends over, grilled burgers, ate Cheetos (a guilty pleasure), played bocce ball, enjoyed a rooftop serenade by Stu, and watched fireworks.

Oh, you don't know what a rooftop serenade is? Let me show you (notice the guitar-clad figure on our roof - that's not a house ornament, that's Stuart playing the Star Spangled Banner).


What 4th of July party (or any holiday for that matter at our house) isn't complete with an electric guitar anthem? Bless our neighbors for not calling the cops on us (a recent occurrence during this practice in our garage).

Stu and I then celebrated the 4th by bumming around. It was lovely. Stuart made me breakfast (it's true...he knows how...and it was good!) then we hiked up the beautiful Rock Canyon. We haven't actually hiked that far into Rock Canyon until Monday, but it's spectacular and just a mere 5 minutes from our house (shame on us spoiled Utah folks). Then we ate lunch downtown and had the most delicious sandwiches from Station 22. We then took the scenic route to Park City for a little outlet browsing and ended the night hanging out with the Connollys for fireworks at Sugar House Park. It was nice.

Tomorrow we leave for Spokane to welcome home my little brother Jace from his 2-year mission to Kobe, Japan. It's going to be epic. Who wants to take votes on how "weird" he'll be? I vote very weird, but we'll love seeing him and hugging him just the same!

4 comments:

  1. I would have paid good money to see Stu on the roof. What a fun memory! You'll have to make it a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you record this? Please tell me you did! Jace is going to be awesomely weird. :) You can tell him I said that! LOVE TO YOU ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epic is a pretty good word, so I'll go with "epicly weird," or maybe "optimumly weird!" (Inside family joke) It will be SO good to be all together again. I'll have a permanent smile on my face, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even tell you how sad we were that we couldn't go to the latest Abbey Road Rooftop Concert show. I'm sure it was amazing! That c jane sure knows how to get the word out, and she's sure fond of Stu/Fictionist. So are we! :) As for your bro coming back from Japan, I'm with you on "very wierd". My brother 2 yrs older than me also went to Japan and I totally remember the wierdness upon his return. Also, he almost killed us when he accidentally started driving on the wrong side of the road on our way to the bank. Good times... Have fun in Spokane!

    ReplyDelete