Sunday, July 24, 2011

Celebrations all around

Coming home from your 2-year mission looks a little something like this...

It was the coolest experience to welcome Jace home from Japan. We were so anxious at the airport. As soon as we saw his big grin, everything felt right. I eat my words because Jace was surprisingly normal. He was a better version of his old self - goofy, fun-loving, tender - now he's just a bit more mature, pensive, and spiritual. It's a pretty sweet combo. Watch out BYU co-eds...

Needless to say, my mom was elated. I can imagine her face on the other side of that photo is not to different from Jace's. She spent weeks preparing for Jace's homecoming weekend - the house looked great, the yard perfect, the food delicious, the activities entertaining. But what am I saying? This is what it's like every time I go home to Spokane.

Segway into mom appreciation:

My mom is 100% devoted to her family. She makes big to-dos about everyone (though we like to joke that Jace is her favorite). Whether it's a phone call, a hand-made quilt, painting your walls, cooking your food, or just saying nice things about you to everyone, my mom has a way of making you feel very special.

I hope she feels special today because it's her birthday and I want to let her know how much I love and appreciate her. She has been such a wonderful support and cheerleader for me this past year. Someone who listens (just enough without prying) to my frustrations and offers support for my decisions. I believe she has suffered with me silently, hoping she could take away this trial. My mom has taught me a lot about being a good student, homemaker, wife, exerciser, church member, etc... But most of all, this past year, she has taught me about ministering to others with a listening ear, open arms, and faith.

Thanks Mom - I hope you have the happiest of birthdays! Let's celebrate on the houseboat!


And just to make this post a bit more random, have you seen one of the latest mormon message videos? Warning: It might make you cry (okay, maybe just me...)


This was just the message I needed as I contemplate my future. What a beautiful family they have.

And a few words that touched me today from church:

"My concern is that you will face some delays and disappointments at this formative time in your life and feel that no one else in the history of mankind has ever had your problems or faced those difficulties. And when some of those challenges come, you will have the temptation common to us all to say, "This task is too hard. The burden is too heavy. The path is too long." And so you decide to quit, simply to give up... But in life's most crucial and telling tasks, my plea is to stick with it, to persevere, to hang in and hang on, and to reap your reward."
--Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

I'm hanging in there and hanging on!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm crying again! Thank you for the lovely birthday wishes. I really do have the best family. Love you sweetheart. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you to death, Brittney! You are amazing. And your Mom really IS awesome. Happy Brithday, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for making me cry... big time. you are awesome, I'd like to be like you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying hard not to blink so the tears don't come out. Thanks for your incredibly positive attitude and example.

    ReplyDelete