I don't know that my life is really that hard. In fact I'm sure that it's not. When compared with the trials of dear friends and family and the devastation in the world, I'm leading the good life.
But still, in my little selfish bubble, it feels like I'm scaling the side of a mountain rather than ambling down the path of life. Everyone can relate, I'm sure.
I have received many kind notes from people who have had nice things to say about my blog. It makes me feel good because Stuart told me my blog was sad and I was feeling a little blog conscious. I told him that life is sometimes sad and I didn't want to sugar coat it. But I promise that I've tried to find silver linings in everything this past month - not just to record on my blog, but just to help me get up in the morning with a smile.
I even thought last night that I felt renewed hope and confidence returning - it was a welcome sensation. It's just over a month from my initial blow of the failed IVF and I have to tell you that while I've been fortunate to never lose anyone very close to me, that's what I imagine it feeling like. It was truly a real loss for me and I couldn't escape some amount of mourning.
I've especially loved your notes because it also brings me comfort to know that my story could help others. That alone makes it feel worth it and perhaps even provides an answer to "why is this happening?" That is such a difficult question. There really is no answer though we search and search and think and contemplate and obsess (okay, is that just me?). But to know that one story can help someone else to take another step forward does give me all the confidence in the world. So thank you for telling me my blog has been helpful in that way.
I have an aunt who has done IVF many many times. She has the most beautiful family and I keep their Christmas card on my fridge because it provides some inspiration.
She wrote me a short e-mail a few weeks ago and I have to admit that I was expecting something different from her note. As one who can truly understand the blow I had just experienced, I expected her to be much more consoling - to indulge my sadness and validate what I had been feeling the past couple of weeks.
It wasn't so much that. It was short and she said this:
"This wait is just helping you get a head start in developing the patience you will need as parents....and believe me you will need A LOT!!"
I was reflecting on that note and her words and why she didn't console my grief more. Then I realized she is on the other side of this trial. She knows things will work out somehow. She can truly say with confidence that everything will be okay and you will have grown from this experience more than you can imagine - and you will be grateful for what it has taught you. That's what it's like on the other side of this. I'll be thankful for the lessons I was taught and I will be able to use them for good. (Thanks Lisa!)
So, even though at this very point in time, I might feel like I am scaling a wall and every day feels a little bit like a challenge - the sun is on my back and somewhere in the future (maybe near future, maybe far, isn't that the rub?) I will reach the peak. I also know that at the top of that peak will be more mountains with more walls to scale and that's okay. But for a few hypothetical minutes, I will just pause and take in the view: see where I've been, the road I've traveled, and how much stronger I am as a result.
It will be worth it. Just keep smiling.
In other news...this is what it looks like after you've painted your ceiling. New fashion perhaps?
The remodeling continues - carpet is gone, subfloor about to go down, painting begun.
And lest you forget the type of life we lead here in the Maxfield house, while we don't currently have furniture, we have instruments. What else matters?
I absolutely love your blog because of how REAL you are, and on top of that, you're such a gifted writer. Patience is the ultimate trial. Keep being real. :)
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered why life isn't more like a paint-by-numbers kit. If you just color in all the little boxes and spaces with the correct color as instructed, then a perfect picture (life) will result. Right? Except that these undeserved challenges keep coming at us and how to deal with them was not included in the directions.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could touch you with my magic wand, Brittney, and make everything better. Wish I had a magic wand...
You've always been thoughtful and wise beyond your years. You have the talent of gathering, pondering, formulating, and then evaluating so well. This has been painful and hard, but as Lisa said, patience is being learned and I think that is one of the absolutely hardest things to learn. What a beautiful post. You are amazing. Love you. P.S. Your house is going to be awesome!
ReplyDeleteThere certain things in my life where I've wanted so badly to ask and understand WHY, but sometimes even the answer to WHY won't really provide any peace or closure. I just have to trust that Heavenly Father has a plan, that He knows the WHY, and that it's just not for me to understand right now (or maybe ever in this life). I do know He loves each and every one of us and is aware of us every second - I do know that He wants us to be happy and He will answer our prayers one way or another. My mother (and Pres. Hinckley) always says "Keep on keeping on." I know someday your ship will come. :)
ReplyDeleteif it makes you feel any better, I think you look awesome with a paint speckled face. Definitely new trend. Kind of like in the 90's when people wore white mascara, do you remember that? Weird. And guitar cases aren't too bad to sit on...
ReplyDeleteI love and admire you.
Just found your blog from that sweet Caitlin sister-in-law of yours.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honesty. I respect that. It's not "sad," just real. And we need more real in the world, I think. :)