Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chandler Brent Maxfield

Chandler Brent Maxfield
Born March 29, 2014, 12:00 pm
8 lbs. 4 oz., 19.5"


It's kind of a mean trick when your first baby is a week early. The second time, you walk around for a week wondering why your baby isn't here yet. Chandler was due on a Tuesday and the week before Chandler's birth was busy. Stuart had a concert on the Wednesday and Friday before he was due and we were worried I'd go into labor at any time possibly causing Stuart to miss a show. So on one hand, I was doing what I could to hold him in. On the other hand, I wanted him here so badly, not only for selfish reasons, but because the doctors let me know that if I wanted to have a successful vaginal birth (following my C-section with Grayson), the best scenario called for me going into labor naturally before my due date.

I was anxious about the delivery because Grayson's was so hard and a bit traumatic - I just didn't know what to expect and I certainly didn't want to have a repeat experience. I wanted very badly to have the VBAC and just hoped that all would go well. Beyond that, I didn't do much planning or preparation - knowing, or at least feeling, that much of the outcome would be really out of my control.

On Friday night, I attended a great Fictionist show at Velour. I was feeling tired and sore but that was par for the course at 9 months pregnant. I didn't have any major or consistent contractions to speak of so I didn't expect much. Luckily, I was able to enjoy the concert and get home to bed. After the show, we breathed easier since we no longer had any impending conflicts on the calendar.

So, that's why it was completely perfect when I woke up the next morning, on Saturday, feeling light contractions at around 5 am. I started timing them and sure enough, they came every 6 and 7 minutes apart. I stayed in bed and tried to rest knowing that Stuart hadn't fallen asleep until probably 4 am. Finally, around 7 am, contractions started to get more intense and I decided it was time to wake up Stuart and get things moving.

We packed up a few things and woke up Grayson. We drove him over to stay with Andrew and Liz and made our way to the hospital. On the short trip into Provo, contractions started to get fairly intense and painful and I started to feel rather anxious. My biggest fear was getting sent home so we took some time and grabbed a bite to eat and drove around town a bit. However, as time passed and labor seemed to be progressing quickly, I wanted nothing more than to get settled at the hospital.

We finally checked into the hospital around 8:30 am and when they checked me, I was about 3.5 centimeters dilated which indicted progress from my doctor's appointment just a few days before. The nurse told me they'd hold me an hour and check me again. If I wasn't progressing, I could likely get sent home. Luckily however, she returned 5 minutes later with good news that I would not be going home. Because I was hoping to have a VBAC, I was just days from my due date, and I was progressing, the doctor wanted to break my water. I was relieved I wouldn't have to leave as I was now in quite a bit of pain.

They broke my water around 9:30. I said I wanted to wait and see how things were going before getting an epidural. However, after they broke my water, the contractions started to really kick in and it wasn't much later that I decided I did, indeed want to get the epidural. While things looked good, I knew I still had 6 centimeters, plus pushing, to go and I wasn't sure how things would progress. Last time, I stalled at 7 centimeters for several hours so nothing was certain. I just decided I didn't want to take the risk and it was the right choice at the time. Luckily, my epidural was the perfect amount of pain relief while still allowing me to feel much of the contractions and move my legs. I can really tolerate a lot of medicine and by no means does the epidural make me numb, it just helps take the edge off the pain so I can relax more.

As the nurse continued to check me, we were so surprised each time she let me know I had progressed another centimeter or more - things were moving along smoothly and quickly. So quickly in fact that several family members were racing to make it in time. Luckily, my mom and Camille made it on time. Jace flew in from Seattle the night before so he was there as well, but Bella was tied up in a photo session. My Dad was tied up with work in Spokane. Cory and Caitlin were hosting a baby shower, unfortunately, at the exact same time so Larry came to support us and was in attendance. Stuart also invited Robbie. So, during much of the labor, my cheering section consisted of Stuart, my mom, Camille, Larry, Robbie, and Jace.

As I continued to labor there was a point when the contractions started to slow down and get less intense. While I was feeling a lot of pressure, I was also really nervous that perhaps we were having a repeat experience of Grayson's birth. After about 15 minutes, we asked the nurse to come check me. When she did, she let us know that I'd slowed down because I was complete - I was 10 centimeters dilated and fully effaced. It was about 11 a.m. and we were so surprised at how fast I had progressed and that things were looking very promising. She told me it was time to push.

At that point, I told Stuart to let the guys know that they were welcome to stay for the delivery as long as they stayed near my head for a more appropriate view. Not many girls can say they had more men than women in the room when they gave birth. I am happy they were there. They were completely respectful and provided great moral support. It was a special group of people to welcome our little boy.


When the doctor came in, I started pushing and about 45 minutes later, without any complications, Chandler Brent Maxfield was born.

Chandler entered the world in a very normal and natural way. As soon as he came out, he started crying and was immediately placed on my chest. Feeling his warm little body against my chest was the absolute best feeling in the entire world - I will never forget that very spiritual and tender moment. While the room was full of people, the only thing I could see, hear, and feel was my baby. He quickly calmed down from the initial shock of entering this world and just snuggled right into my body. It felt as complete and as whole as it does when you carry your baby for 9 months, but he just happened to be on the outside. I cried tears of joy and relief that he made it into this world so perfectly and so healthy. That moment was a dream come true for me, a long-awaited experience that I will cherish forever.



Chandler's birth was calm and very spiritual. I could feel the support of my loved ones in the room as well as the presence of angels helping me to bring this very special miracle baby into the world. In every way, Chandler fought against all the odds to be here on this earth. I love him because I believe he has a special purpose to fulfill - even if that purpose is nothing more than to be my son. He has already made my dreams come true and I believe he will continue to do that for others throughout his life.

Chandler has a special name and big shoes to fill. He is named after his Great Grandpa Chan and Grandpa Larry Chan, Stuart's Grandpa and Father. He also has the middle name of Brent, which is my dad's name. Stuart and I look up to all three of these men so much and can only hope our little boy will follow their good examples.

My two boys have such very different stories to tell about how they made their entrances into this world. I love both of their stories for many different reasons and I am a better person for having gone through them both. While I wouldn't trade one experience for another, there is something very special about welcoming your baby into this world with open arms (literally). I am grateful to have had that experience with Chandler.

When reflecting on our boys, Stuart said it well: Grayson is the million dollar baby and Chandler is the one in a million baby. Both of them are miracles. And both of them are mine.

















4 comments:

  1. This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing. What a special little guy and I loved your cheering section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome to hear more about his story! And I love that Stuart coined the 'million dollar baby' and 'one in a million baby' nicknames :) Cute and clever. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post made me tear up! Chandler is a special baby. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I'm with Camille. What a special experience for me to see Chan enter this world. I love all my grandbabies so so much.

    ReplyDelete