Sunday, October 17, 2010

The grounds at Versailles

I know people are sick of the "here's where I've been, aren't I cool?" posts. Sorry - I maintain it's for my own memory and posterity, not yours. But thanks for indulging me anyway.

Probably my favorite day of our European trip was the day we went to Versailles. I had been to Versailles once with my family, but this time, we spent the entire day exploring the palace and the grounds. The palace is remarkable to be sure, but the grounds are heavenly. I pretty much am obsessed with Marie Antoinette's hamlet. While the whole concept behind it is completely absurd, the scenery and buildings are breathtaking. I suppose it's the ultimate irony: you walk around completely in awe, part of your amazement is based in adoration and part in contempt. Let me explain.

The hamlet is a small and rustic farm meant to evoke a peasant village in Normandy. It was completed with a farmhouse, dairy, and mill. They say the Queen and her attendants would dress as shepherdesses and milkmaids and play "farm" - if you will. Docile, hand-picked, and cleaned cows were milked by the ladies using porcelain milk churns painted to imitate wood (because real wood is so hard to come by?!). Buildings that appear simple on the outside were ornately decorated on the inside with more of what the queen and her ladies were accustomed to. Forget actually just visiting a farm village, Marie Antoinette created the appearance of one with the extravagance of a palace.

We agreed with the woman we met on the grounds of Versailles (whom we swear was mormon) that it looked just like a "fairy land." It did. Below are pictures of each of the little farm buildings. They are all situated around a beautiful pond. I'm not really sure what that building with the tower over-looking the pond is supposed to be. I have a hard time imagining many farm villages in Normandy with a princess tower, but none-the-less it makes for some fabulous sight seeing.





Stuart and I walked around these gardens for hours. The day could not have been more pleasant and we soaked it in. Being in Europe can feel frantic - there is so much to see and never enough time to see it in. I am so glad we spent this entire day just getting a feel for Versailles and appreciating the beauty that was there.





Thank you Versailles for treating us so well!!

There is something for everyone at Versailles.

Even with all the ornate decor, simple beauty can be found and appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This looks amazing. I am totally jealous! And you are looking gorgeous, as always. What an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B, I found your blog after you left a comment on mine. I had no idea that you have a blog too! I hope you don't mind if I follow it. I'd love to keep in better touch with you.

    AND, you just happened to recently post on one of my favorite places in the whole world! My art historical specialty is on 17th century art - and Versailles is one of the best examples of such art and architecture. Isn't it amazing?!? I think people can't even get a sense of the scale and grandeur to this place, until they have experienced it themselves. I remember it took my friend 30 minutes to walk to-and-from the restroom in the palace.

    When I went to Versailles several years ago (on an art history study abroad), I spent more time studying the art and architecture of the palace. It was fun to see your pictures of the gardens, because I didn't get much time out there. Your pictures are fabulous. Next time I go, I really want to see Marie Antoinette's little country farm. It looks so quaint and cute.

    Looks like you guys had a very fun trip.

    -Monica

    ReplyDelete