Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spring

As you can tell by now, I don't love blogging. It always seems so inconvenient. Maybe because I work on a computer for 8+ hours a day so spending more time on one when I get home is about the furthest thing from my mind.

Regardless, there is catching up to do.

Texas came and went. It was a fun trip. I really enjoyed Austin and the great weather, though I'm told it doesn't last. The best part was meeting up with Stu, the band, and my sister. It had been too long. We were more than anxious to see each other. That anxiety pretty much came out in me having a complete and ugly breakdown when I learned they were 8 hours behind schedule and Stu driving for 36+ hours straight to make it to Texas. I felt bad when I heard he hadn't slept all night in order to make it to Austin. But the reunion was sweet.

South By Southwest is basically insane. There is a band playing in every store/venue/restaurant/street corner at all times of the day all week long. It's so noisey and crowded and a little overwhelming. That being said, it's something I'd recommend everyone see at least once. Just be sure to bring along your skinny jeans and try to get an asymmetrical hair cut before you go. It's such a "scene." I made my best attempt. Here I am standing at the top of South Congress - a really artsy part of town where all the hipsters hang. You can see the city in the background - it really is a pretty city.


Fictionist played 3 shows. The first one was great, the second one kind of lame, and during the third, they apparently "killed it" (though I had to leave so this is what I read on Facebook). During the first gig - they played in this restaurant on the hip side of town. People came and went, some stayed for a long time. One particular group of guys were enthralled with the band. They bought CDs and had great things to say. We flagged them down as they didn't look like your typical street goers - turns out it was the keyboardist for the Wall Flowers and Foo Fighters - SWEET! (He's the one in the glasses, drinking, the others are his entourage - which is also a must at SXSW).


Here are more photos of Austin:


What was even better than Texas was the guys actually coming home. And they did! Finally. It was a happy day for me and other wives/family members. The tour was successful - so much so that they are doing more. Stu is heading to L.A. again this week for some follow-up concerts. If you live in L.A. check them out. You won't regret it.

The month of April has been refreshing: warm weather, sunshine, rain, green, all the good things about Spring. It's also welcomed a whole lot of yard work, which I'm anxious to start and mostly finish. If I went back in time, I'd tell my little naive self that maybe three quarters of an acre (an overgrown acre with 10+ years of neglect to boot) is a little much for a novice homeowner. Oh...the things we learn. ANYWAY...

I also had the privilege to run my 6th half marathon. It was a fun one because my mom and sister came out to run it as well. We all had great races and I was really happy with my time. 2:03.00. I basically tied my PR - so that is always good. We couldn't ask for better weather. Here's the proof:


I had a blast hanging out with Camille and Russ and have decided that Russ is basically a text-book-perfect husband. He was sweet to surprise Camille with many parties and presents throughout the day - which happened to be her birthday. What more could a girl ask for?Brownie points to Russ!


When I wasn't traveling, running, and doing yard work, I've been feverishly working on a craft project. My friend Laura and I have a booth at the Beehive Bazaar and we're cramming with a week and half left to get our goods ready. We're crafting and selling some cute kitchen items. I'll post on that in a few days. But in the mean time, if you live in Utah, you're going to want to check out the Bazaar - it's full of to-die-for hand-made jewelry, art, decor, clothing and more. Don't miss it.


It's been a good month. I'm happy to have a husband again. Happy to be crafting, gardening, and running. And happily looking forward to our European adventure less than a month away. Can't wait.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! That was a good summary of your life for the last while. ALSO... I just realized I will be in town for that bazaar!!! I'm excited. I love to-die-for hand-made jewelry, art, decor, clothing and more. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the blogpost and congrats on your half marathon time...that is EXCELLENT!!! We should run together, you can help me get my speed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun times. You should make an etsy account! I'm excited for those dish clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for you to post on your time in Austin! Good luck with your crafting! Sorry I've been horrible at keeping in touch lately. We're back in the Beehive State in 2 1/2 weeks, so we'll have to get together and do lunch or go on a run or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that must have been a great trip. and after missing your husband for two months, that is great! I have been there with deployments, it is really hard but the reunions are oh so sweet!

    ReplyDelete