Sunday, July 19, 2009

What I think about work....

It's been blistering hot this week. Thank goodness for our latest home purchase: a window-unit air conditioner. Stu tried to convince me for about a month that we could cool down the house by strategically placing a series of fans near open doors and windows to create enough "flow=through" that would magically generate arctic-type winds running through our house. It never seemed to work quite as he described. I finally gave up on that idea mostly because our house was becoming a gathering place for bugs when it grew dark and I was still laying on my bed sweating rather than sleeping. So, i love my air conditioner. And, Stu even likes it too :).

This past week was uneventful. Work was dull. It was one of those weeks where the clock just couldn't move fast enough. I'm plenty busy, but my current projects are just slow. Either that, or I'm hitting that wall. It happens sometimes. But this thought brings me to another one...

I enjoy working. I associate in a circle of creative people who all have a hint of A.D.D. I often hear the phrase that having a desk job would "kill me." I sort of cringe every time I hear this phrase, because it seems to imply that all of us who do work at a desk in an office are boring, unambitious people, who don't have any wild dreams or hopes. I think this is a very UNFAIR generalization of the 9 to5 (give or take 3/hr a day) workforce.

I started working at VitalSmarts during college. I did my internship there. When I started working there, I became part of a small marketing team who had big goals and ambitions. Right away I was given responsibilities and assignments that caused me to stretch, grow, and create. I have never been an order taker or button pusher. I've always had autonomy, responsibility, a budget, a team, and a vision to do what I like.

Since that time, I've been given more and more of this responsibility and it's stressful and hard and so rewarding at the same time. To all those people out there who think us "worker bees" have no brains and ambitions, you are very mistaken. In the office environment, we have teams of people at our disposal, we brainstorm, we collaborate, we innovate, and we work really hard to bring our visions and goals to life. Luckily, I am also part of a company that is successful.

My job is very rewarding and I am so greatful for the experience I've had for the past 4 years to work at VitalSmarts. I've proven to myself that I could do this, even when it's hard. My job has provided stability, income, savings, and a house. It has created a family of coworkers and friends, and a purpose.

I admire all people who are willing to work hard to acccomplish goals and dreams and to provide for their families. It can happen in many ways. Whether you're employed or self-employed, the important thing is that you are employed in some cause and working towards some goal. I just hope that the more entrepreneurial type can see that I am working towards and achieving my goals--and I like doing it.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. We need all types of workers with different talents, and I admire your skills and abilities so much. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said!

    Hi! This is Melissa :) You probably didn't even know that I read your blog :) But surprise! I do!

    ReplyDelete